This article is over 10 months old
Kreuzberg suburb building collapsed last Friday, killing at least six people and injuring dozens
Munich’s famed Christmas market is cancelled again
Munich’s mayor has announced that the world famous Christmas market near its landmark train station will be closed until next year as the area is still littered with rubble from the collapsed building.
“The worst catastrophe we’ve ever had has happened here,” Munich’s mayor, Dieter Reiter, said on Thursday.
“Six people have died and 35 injured. Our Christmas market is in no condition to open yet,” he said.
Dorothee Hofmann/DPA/Reuters mourners laid flowers at the site.
At least three people died and 36 were injured on Friday when part of the building housing a Christmas market collapsed. It was the worst building disaster in Munich’s history.
The Christmas market was the focus of a dramatic rescue operation at the site of the four-storey building which was left hanging precariously over the busy Römerberg area of the German city on Friday evening.
Officials said the 26-year-old man who died in the collapse was living at the building. He was identified as Carlos Pacora Fernandez-Ege, a Nicaraguan construction worker who came to Munich in 2010 to work as a labourer.
A 27-year-old woman who was trapped under the rubble has also been identified as a 41-year-old woman. Three other people were reported missing after the collapsed building.
The Christmas market in the heart of the Kreuzberg district. Photograph: Rainer Widmann/dpa/Reuters
Police Chief Hubertus Andrae said on Wednesday that the area had been ruled out as a possible place for the market to open in 2019.
Reiter praised the “colossal rescue and rescue efforts” made by emergency services during the Christmas market incident, saying: “They are already on their way to becoming a national model for rescue and rescue works.”